TransMac Review 10.5
Windows2K, XP, Vista, Vista x64, 2003 Server, 7, 7 x64, 2008 Server
TransMac is a powerful software solution that allows you to copy any type of file to and from Mac OS X-formatted disks which can't be accessed from Microsoft's operating system. Thanks to a very clean and easy to navigate interface, TransMac is designed to allow users transfer files to and from HFS (Mac OS Standard) and HFS+/HFSX (Mac OS Extended and case sensitive) disks. The application automatically detects the Macintosh disks, regardless if they are regular hard drives, CDs, DVDs or removable drives. Of course, it allows users perform a number of actions, including reading and writing data, but also copy, rename and delete files and folder just like on a regular disk. Additionally, TransMac comes with dedicated features to help users format any disk to be later accessed from Mac OS X, but also burn images in various formats, including DMG, IMG and ISO.
Last but not least, it sports a comprehensive search tool to search for virtually any type of file, but also for extensions and other type of data that may be stored on the Macintosh hard disks. There are three different settings menus, “General”, “PC” and “Mac”, so you can even configure the way you access Mac-formatted disks. For instance, TransMac supports read-only access but, in case you wish to benefit from all its features, you need to enable read/write access. TransMac works flawlessly and it doesn't affect computer performance at all, leaving just a minimal footprint on hardware resources. Windows 7 users however need administrator privileges to enable all features of the app. This is one of the most effective ways to control your Macintosh hard disks from a Windows workstation and thanks to its straightforward interface and a comprehensive help file, it can be safely used by all types of users.Here are some key features of "TransMac":
- Read and write Mac format CDs, DVDs, hard drives, high density floppy diskettes and most removable drives.
- Supports most drive interface types including USB, IDE, ATAPI, FireWire (IEEE1394), SCSI, etc.
- Supports both standard HFS (Mac OS Standard) and HFS+/HFSX (Mac OS Extended and case sensitive) format disks.
- Copy, rename and delete files and folders.
- Create Mac format CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW, etc.
- Burn disk image files (dmg, img, iso, image).
- Format disks for use on Mac.
- Search Mac disks for specific files by type, creator or extension.
- Read Mac multisession and hybrid CDs.
- Automatic file type/extension mapping between platforms.
- Open and preview Mac and PC files directly from TransMac.
- Display and change Mac type and creator information.
- Create and open file based Mac volume images including most dmg compressed images.
- Save and restore images of entire disks.
- 15-day trial
- The trial version opens Mac format fixed disks as read only
- Nag screen
- Added slow DVD burn speed option to settings.
- Added quick verify for DVD burn.
- Fixed intermittent problem when restarting as admin.
- Several burning fixes.
Windows 2K, XP, Vista, Vista x64, 2003 Server, 7, 7 x64, 2008 Server